I decided to take some time off this winter to work on some hobbies of mine, video and music production. I am also building a unique gaming matchmaking service using the DiscordAPI. Ask me about how I saved 15% on car insurance.
Revise.work is a revision platform for artists. It keeps track of previous version of a project in a GIT like manner, also handling file uploads to facilitate project file sharing. One time line where an artist and a client can share details and talk about past versions of a project to see the full picture. The project is still being worked on...
fuse.wiki connects any two given wikipedia articles by 6 degrees of separation or less. This project required more thinking than actual code. Reading up on API's and different algorithms that might help us parse thru the hundreds of thousands wikipedia articles was a daunting task, but in the end we found a way. By downloading all of wikipedia (wikipedia has monthly dumps) we can then parse those SQL dumps to get the info we need and generate a sqlite database with just the right info for our algorithm to use. The rest of the info such as image links and page description can all be fetched via the wikimedia api. A modified bi-directional algorithm then sorts thru thousands of incoming and outgoing links and returns the results for the front end team to display. I, along with Jacob Hartman, where in charge of making a production level API for the front end to query along with all of the backend requirements such as caching previous searches and optimizing the algorithm from >15 seconds back down to a reasonable <2 seconds.
slashBot is a discord bot that primarily streams music from youtube to play it in a specific channel. This was a really fun project and gave me some insight on how bots worked along with how to work with an NLP. Overall I was satisfied with how it turned out, I planned a lot of features I never got to finish but since I spent a lot of time laying out scaffolding I can add mods very simply and efficiently without changing much code.
This was a side project I completed a week before break. I wanted to understand how early video games where made and since I had learned C I wanted to use it in a project. The task seemed simple, turn a file with points represented by altitude into a isometric grid using SDL2. This project exposed me to lots of new ideas and showed me how complicated video game engines actually are.